Yes, we have all done it once or twice. If you lost your user or root passwd, follow these simple instructions.
- Log into the graphical interface as root (enter "root" when prompted for the username).
- Use the Users & Groups tool under the YDL --> Applications --> System Tools menus.
- Log out, and then log back in again as your preferred user.
- Reboot your computer.
- At the yaboot or kboot prompt (white text on a black background), press TAB once or twice to stop the auto time-out which boots Linux.
linux 1 [ENTER]
- This will take you to a shell (command line).
passwd [ENTER]... and you will be asked to enter your new passwd.
- Once this is complete, type:
reboot [ENTER]... and the system will continue to boot. You may now log in as root and then per the above, reset your User account if the passwd has also been forgotten.
This HOWTO was written by Kai Staats, Fixstars