This HOWTO will guide you through the steps of getting Java working in Firefox with Yellow Dog Linux 5.0. There are three steps involved: (1) installing JRE; (2) configuring Firefox; and (3) testing the configuration. It is recommended that you login as root before proceeding to minimize installation and configuration errors. Please note that these instructions were current as of the early part of 2007, so changes to the IBM web site may require you to search for the listed files.
Part I: Install JRE 5.0
- Open Firefox
- Go here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/plugins/
- Scroll down to the Java section and look for "Support Documentation"
- Click on the "Linux" link
- In the Java Runtime Environment section, look for "Downloads"
- Click on the "IBM JRE" link
- Under the "Latest Java releases and download links" heading, click on the "SR3" link for J2SE 5.0 on 32-bit iSeries/pSeries
- You will need to register on the IBM site to go to the next step. After completing the registration process, you should arrive at a download page for "IBM 32-bit SDK for Linux on iSeries and pSeries architecture, Java 2 Technology 2006-09-18"
- Click on the link under "Download using http"
- Under the JRE section, download the RPM format
- Select Open with system-installer-packages (default) and click OK
- Note: this is a big download (47,2 MB).
- Follow the installer instructions to complete installation.
Part II: Configure Firefox
- Use the File Browser to navigate to /opt/ibm/java2-ppc-50/jre/bin
- Right-click on libjavaplugin_oji.so and select "Make link"
- Right-click on the newly created file called "link to libjavaplugin_oji.so" and select "Cut"
- Use the File Browser to navigate to /usr/lib/firefox-18.104.22.168/plugins
- Right-click in the folder and select "Paste"
- Right-click on the file called "link to libjavaplugin_oji.so" and select "Rename"
- Rename the file to "ibjavaplugin_oji.so"
Part III: Test Installation
- Open Firefox
- Go to http://www.time.gov
- Select a state - if java starts and the time shows up your installation is successful.
This HOWTO was prepared by Grant Gulovsen