Yellow Dog Solutions
TOPIC: Get Chinese Characters to Appear Properly in Firefox
Unfortunately, even with the Chinese Language installation installed, Chinese will not appear properly in Firefox under Yellow Dog Linux v5, so I have
written the steps needed to make it work for you.
- From the main YDL menu select Applications -> Applications -> System Tools -> Software Management -> Add/Remove Software
- If you are not running as root, you will be asked for the root password to run a program called "pirut", this is the name of the "Add/Remove Software" program.
- Select "Languages" in the middle column, scroll to and tick "Chinese support" in the right column if not already ticked. Check out the "Optional packages" if you like. Click "Apply" if you changed anything.
- Wait for it to finish downloading and installing. It may take a long time downloading some of the dependencies.
- Hopefully you will eventually see "Software installation successfully completed.". Click on the "OK" button and the "Add/Remove Software" program will go away.
- Click on these RPM font package links, select "Open with Software Installer" :
- Wait for the download to finish.
- If you are not running as root, you will be asked for the root password to run a program called "system-install-packages", this is the name of the "Software Installer" program.
- Click on the "Apply" button.
- Hopefully you will eventually see "Software installed successfully.". Click on the "OK" button and the "Software Installer" program will go away.
- Repeat for the other two font packages above.
- Log out and back in again (or reboot if you prefer).
- Set Firefox to use the 3 new fonts.
This HOWTO was prepared by Nicholas Stanosheck, and edited by TSS staff.