There are 3 methods to upgrading the kernel for WiFi, and 3 associated HOWTOs, this being the first.
- This HOWTO (the one you are now reading) is for a semi-automated kernel upgrade, and assumes your PS3 has a LAN (ethernet) connection to the
Internet, under YDL.
- This HOWTO guides you through
upgrading the kernel where your PS3 under Linux does NOT have an internet connection, and requires the use of an additional personal computer and USB key or
- This HOWTO guides you through upgrading the kernel using the command line. This is for Linux savvy, advanced users.
WARNING!: This kernel upgrade is beta software and is not recommended in a production environment.
WARNING!: This script re-writes your kboot.conf which may render your system useless.
Upgrade the kernel, the semi-automated method
- Open a terminal window by clicking on the Yellow Dog icon on the task bar, then Applications --> Accessories --> Gnome Terminal
- To gain root access:
su - [ENTER]
- When prompted, enter the root password.
- Download the auto updater script:
wget http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/ConfigWifiKernel.sh [ENTER]... you will be presented with a progress bar and confirmation of download with "'ConfigWifiKernel.sh' saved [1089/1089]".
chmod 700 ConfigWifiKernel.sh [ENTER]
- Run the script:
- Reboot the computer:
This HOWTO was prepared by Aaron Johnson, Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.