This HowTo provides instructions for downloading and installing IBM XL C/C++ for Multicore Acceleration for Linux on a YDEL 6.1 system.
- Cell/B.E. system, such as the IBM QS2x, PS3, GA-180, etc.
- YDEL 6.1
- IBM XL C/C++ for Multicore Acceleration for Linux on System p,V9.0
XL C/C++ for Multicore Acceleration for Linux on System p,V9.0 is a cross-compilers for generating 32-bit and 64-bit code that runs on Cell hardware. Compilation occurs on a host IBM System p running Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux (YDEL) v. 6.0 . The compiled application will run on a Cell/B.E. system. For more information, refer to IBM's XL Fortran for Multicore Acceleration for Linux Information Center.
- Download the installation image directly to your Cell system or to another system. You can download the trial version of IBM XL C/C++ for Multicore Acceleration from the IBM XL C/C++ website. Once the trial period has expired, you can purchase a license from the IBM website.
- Extract the installation image to a convenient location. You will now have a directory containing all IBM XL installation rpms, scripts, documentation and other necessary files.
- If you downloaded and extracted the installation files directly to your Cell system, continue to the next step. If you downloaded and extracted the installation files to a system other than the Cell system on which you are installing, you must transfer all files to the Cell system. Although this can be accomplished through various methods, this HowTo describes how to use 'rsync' to transfer the files:
- From the system on which the IBM XL installation files were downloaded, open a terminal window.
- If the IBM XL files were downloaded to /download_directory_path/IBM_XL_dir, issue a 'cd' command to access the directory containing the installation directory.
- Type the following command, where IBM_XL_dir is the directory containing the IBM XL installation files:
rsync -Pa IBM_XL_dir root@IP_address_Cell_system:
- Log in to the Cell system as user root.
- Change to the IBM_XL_dir/RHEL5-PPC/rpms/ directory:
- Install the ppu packages by typing:
yum install ppu*
- Run the yum install command on all packages in the rpms directory:
yum localinstall * --nogpgcheck
- When prompted, type 'y' to begin the installation.
- Type the following command:
- Change to the /opt/ibmcmp/xlc/cbe/9.0/bin directory:
- Run the following command:
- You are presented with the licensing agreement and licensing information. Read the licensing agreement and licensing information. If you agree to the licensing terms, accept the license agreement and licensing information to continue installation.
Setting the PATH Variable
The following instructions describe how to set PATH variable for the IBM XL compilers. This makes it possible to run the compilers from any directory, instead of only from the /opt/ibmcmp/xlc/cbe/9.0/bin directory.
- From the command line on the Cell system as user root, change to the /etc/profile.d directory:
- Create a file named xlc.sh:
- Add the following lines to the file:
- Save and close the file.
This HOWTO was written by Owen Stampflee and Bonnie Gosler, Fixstars Solutions.